It has been a long time since the last post – mostly because we have been doing ‘non-straw’ jobs, such as installing bathrooms and kitchens and painting which are not especially interesting or noteworthy tasks. I have been meaning to write a review post covering my conclusions from clay plastering, but haven’t got round to it yet. However, last week I got back onto a straw specific job, namely finishing off the exterior render around the windows.
I had left the window area without a finish coat because I needed to get the windows themselves in before doing this and I wasn’t able to do that job before the winter lime rendering window closed. As luck would have it I received a surprise visit from Arthur Phillip, the lime render man, who happened to be in the area. Arthur is probably the country’s foremost expert on rendering straw bale houses and he introduced me to PVC window frameseal beads. These are basically a strip of white PVC channel with a sticky back to it that you can put around the wooden frame edge of the windows allowing you to render up to and into the channel – thus giving you a stable and watertight edge to your render. They also have on the a tear-off sticky plastic strip which you can use to attach polythene sheeting to in order to protect the windows themselves from render spalshed – important if you would be using a gun to apply the render.
I couldn’t actually source these in sufficiently small quantities, so I made my own by buying standard PVC channeling and runing a bead of silicone up the back of them to stick these to the frame while also creating a weathertight seal. I then mixed up a batch of lime and straw to create the shaping into the window frame and finished-off with a coat of lime that then ran into / up to the window edge fo the PVC channel. This seems to work fine.